Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Interview Worries

It's that time of the semester again when I'm running around to every single career fair I can. I know I mentioned the career fair last semester, but this is a different one. I skipped the career fair at Littlejohn this semester because let's face it: they don't really do much good. This is typically what happens (to me) :

"Hi, my name is Alyssa Sullivan. -blah blah blah talk about me blah- I'm looking for positions in -name appropriate metiers for a college educated young woman here-"
"Oh... well, we're really just looking for someone to run our production floor."

I seriously can't tell you the number of times that happened. I've worked in a factory before. It wasn't fun. I have no desire to return, not even if I'd have an air conditioned office this time instead of being on the production floor that's 100+° by 9 AM. No thank you.

And there was that one time when I introduced myself to the guy and he immediately told me to come back when I'd taken an interviewing class. I guess the way I say, "Hello, my name is Alyssa Sullivan," isn't right. Shaking my head. Moving along.

But this isn't the Littlejohn Career Fair. It's the MBA Networking Forum that I would have missed out on if I hadn't gone to see my adviser. I thought it was going to be in the evening so I decided to sit out (doing things in the evening is tricky for me), but when I said that she kind of stared at me and went, "No no no; it's at like 9 in the morning!" She then set diligently about the task of penciling me in wherever she could; wonderful, useful Clemson administrator that she is. Trust me. Those are very hard to come by.

The MBA Networking Forum works like this: you sign up for whichever companies you want to potentially work for, and over the course of the morning you have 10 minute one-on-one interviews with them. Jamie, my adviser, describes it as "speed dating for jobs." And it's on Valentine's Day! How appropriate!

So today I will be running around Greenville looking for interview clothes because I have is really seasonally inappropriate, and when I get home I'll be researching companies, running through sample questions, printing off ten thousand copies of my resume, and making myself look presentable.

Y'all root for me. Throw up a Hail Mary. Cross your fingers. Sacrifice a possum. I have to have an internship in order to graduate (again), and if I could land an actual paying job sometime here soon that would be great too. Student loans don't pay themselves back, and baby needs to buy her textbooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment