Monday, February 4, 2013

Happy Black History Month, y'all!

I love Black History Month. I really do. I love it love it love it. I also love Black folks that say they don't see a reason for Black History Month. While I'm at it, I especially love white people that say things like, "But why isn't there a white history month?!" You wanna know why there's no white history month? Holla at me. Let me educate you.

...that was a little scary, wasn't it? Yikes. Let's lighten things up! Here's a list of my favorite Black historical and contemporary figures: one for every day of the month! If you see some names you don't know, look them up! You might learn something!

1.  Josephine Baker
2. Thomas-Alexandre Dumas
3. Alexandre Dumas, père
4. The Statue of Liberty
5. Richard Allen
6. Mansa Musa
7. Zora Neale Hurston
8. Emperor Haile Selassie I
9. The Queen of Sheba
10. Saint Benedict the Moor
11. Madam CJ Walker
12. François-Dominique Touissant L'Ouverture
13. Alvin Ailey
14. Stagecoach Mary Fields
15. Nina Mae McKinney
16. King Peggy
17. Queen Nzinga of Ndango and Matamba
18. Lady Sarah Forbes Bonetta Davies
19. Mary Edmonia Lewis
20. Abram Petrovich Gannibal
21. Alexander Pushkin
22. Eartha Kitt
23. Malcolm X
24. MLK jr.
25. Angela Davis
26. Grace Bumbry
27. Jackie Ormes
28. Stokely Carmichael (Kwame Touré)

They're all fascinating folks, really; or objects (Statue of Liberty). Seriously; do y'all think I'd bother making a list of boring people? Go Google them!

No comments:

Post a Comment